SORA TRAINING FACILITIES
Hinton Investigations Training Institute offers weekly classes throughout New Jersey. Our highly trained Law Enforcement and SECURITY instructors are highly skilled. This is why our company is retained by more security agencies to perform their SORA training than any other. Hinton Investigations Training Institute is a trusted name in SORA training.
WHAT IS SORA TRAINING
As of 2007, SORA training is mandated for all contract security positions throughout New Jersey. SORA training is a 3 step process to be completed within a 30 day period. These steps currently include registration with the New Jersey State Police (NJSP), completing a 24 hour training program with a NJSP certified instructor, and fingerprinting. Proper government issued identification is required for each step and though a credit card is not required, it is HIGHLY recommended.
WHAT DOES SORA TRAINING INCLUDE?
The SORA training course includes, but is not limited to, the following subject matter:
|• Hinton Investigations Institute Orientation
• NJ Attorney General's Use of Force Policy
• Terrorism Awareness
• Cargo Theft
• Security Measures: Prevention and Deterrence
• New Jersey's Critical Infrastructure Awareness
• Suspicious Letters and Packages
|• Suicide Bombers and Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Devices (VBIED's)
• First Aid Awareness
• Incident Command System
• Report Writing
• Street Gangs
• Verbal Judo
WHEN ARE THE SORA CLASSES OFFERED?
SORA training classes are typically offered on a weekly basis. Please contact the office for exact dates and times prices.
WHAT ARE THE SORA REQUIREMENTS?
1. Must be at least 18 years of age
2. Must posses a valid photo ID with valid expiration date, i.e. Drivers License, Passport, etc.
3. Must register and possess “30 day Temporary Certificate of Registration as a Security Officer”. This registration is issued by the New Jersey State Police. Go to: https://eapps.njsp.org/applicant/logon.do this is the State Police logon site to obtain your 30 day temporary certificate. You must pay for the certificate when applying.
4. You must also be fingerprinted by the state licensed agency (Morpho Trak), their web site is https://www.bioapplicant.com/nj. You will only have 30 days to complete the process which includes your SORA class. It is recommended that you schedule your class first and then apply for your certificate with the NJSP.
SORA CERTIFICATION DETAILS
When a security officer applies for certification, he or she will have 30 days from the time of application to obtain training, pass the course, and get fingerprinted. Once certification has been granted, it is portable- it belongs to the security officer, like a driver's license, and the certification card will be mailed to the address entered on the security officer’s certification application.
The Certified Security Officer Registry will list certified officers by name, certification number and expiration date only.
• It will not provide employment histories on the officer.
• It is still up to the prospective employer to conduct a background check and verify the information listed on the employment application.
SORA TRAINING NOW MANDATORY
The SORA law has gone into effect in January 2007, all security officers MUST be SORA certified to work in New Jersey as a security officer. As part of this new law any person employed to perform a security function and is not SORA certified is subject to a $1,000 fine PERSONALLY.
Candidates for certification must apply on-line, at the New Jersey State Police website (https://eapps.njsp.org/applicant/logon.do). Please make sure to have a credit card or debit card available before applying, as there is a $75.00fee.
SORA CANDIDATES REQUIRE PROPER IDENTIFICATION
Hinton Investigations Training Institute, Certified Instructors must verify each person's identity. This can be verified through presentation of any of the following:
• A valid photo identification with a valid expiration date (an out of state Driver’s License is acceptable);
• An expired New Jersey photo drivers license in combination with a current non - photo license,
• AND temporary certificate of registration as a security officer.
The following are also acceptable forms of identification:
• US Passport or Alien Registration card with foreign passport
• Photo ID issued by any Federal, State, or Municipal Government
• Be sure to have the proper identification when you come to the class.
INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW
• SORA is a 3 step process:
• First: A core function of the SORA process is the completion of a SORA Training class. It is strongly suggested that you identify a training class FIRST. Please visit and register for a SORA certification class. To attend this class you need two forms of government issued ID (one with photo), a copy of your 30 Day Temporary Certificate (next step) and your payment. We do not accept personal checks. Once you register for this class you will be sent a confirmation email. Please make sure that you receive this email. If you do not, call our office 862-250-6143. On the week of the training class, you will be sent reminder emails. It is at this point we suggest that you complete the next two steps. This is designed for you to maximize your 30 day temporary period.
• Second: It is MANDATORY to register with the State Police. You may register at https://eapps.njsp.org/applicant/logon.do. You will not be able to attend class if you do not register with the State Police. When you complete your registration with the State Police you must print out two forms; the MorphoTrak Fingerprint Form and the 30 day Temporary Certificate. You need two copies of the 30 Day Temporary Certificate, one copy for your records and bring one copy on the day of class.
• Third: Complete a fingerprint scan at a MorphoTrak. We recommend that you enroll via their website at
https://www.bioapplicant.com/nj/Default.aspx it is also listed on the form. YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE YOUR FINGERPRINTS DONE TO ATTEND THE CLASS, however it is STRONGLY recommended that you make an appointment as soon as possible. It often takes at least 2-3 weeks to get an appointment. Calling them and providing your information via phone leaves the possibility of a communication error. You MUST show up on time with either a valid drivers license or government-issued ID card. These are the ONLY forms of ID they accept and your paperwork. If you do not show up on time, you may be turned away.
Q. HOW LONG DOES THIS LICENSE LAST?
• 2 years
Q. WHAT HAPPENS IF I WORK SECURITY WITHOUT THIS LICENSE?
• Unfortunately some companies will hire people without a SORA license. The unknowing security officer will be fined $1,000 and could be barred from working security in the future. Some companies try to get around this by changing their title, however, the officer will still be held liable for the fine.
Q. MANY COMPANIES HAVE THEIR OWN SORA TRAINERS, WHY SHOULD I GO TO AN INDEPENDENT SCHOOL?
• These companies often charge VERY high rates for their classes. Although you are not paying up front for the class, you are still paying. Some companies even offer the class for free if you are with them for a period of time. However, if you leave the job within that time, you are often required to pay for the training. Independent schools are much cheaper, often have better training and offer employment referrals.
Q. WHAT HAPPENS IF I CAN NOT MAKE THE CLASS I HAVE REGISTERED FOR?
• Your registration information to our SORA training program is entered into our database. The class roster will be sent to the State Police the day before the class. If you fail to attend this class, you will be responsible for the seat you have purchased and possibly a reassignment fee. If you are unable to attend the class, simply contact our office and advise us of the issue. We can assign you to another class at a later date. However, please understand that you have purchased a service and are responsible for the fee.
Q. WHAT HAPPENS IF I FAIL TO COMPLETE ALL THREE STEPS OF THE SORA PROCESS?
• If you fail to complete all three steps of the SORA process within 30 days, your 30 day temporary certificate will expire and the steps and money you have paid will not be refunded. You will be eligible to re-register with the State Police, but you will not be issued a 30 Day Temporary Certificate and lose the right to work during this period.
Q. CAN I WORK AS A SECURITY OFFICER ONCE I REGISTER WITH THE STATE POLICE AND HAVE A TEMPORARY CERTIFICATE?
• Yes, if you have a 30 Day Temporary Certificate you may work as a security officer while you complete your three steps. Once the 30 day period is over, you must cease work until your steps are complete.
Q. HOW LONG DOES THIS PROCESS TAKE?
• The time to complete each step depends greatly on you. The Registration with the State Police is a 7 minute online process. The class is two full days and the fingerprints take about 2 minutes, it's more a matter of getting the appointment. Once you have completed all three steps; the State Police will issue you your SORA card via the mail within 15 business days.
Q. WHAT IF I HAVE A CRIMINAL HISTORY?
• As a part of the process for SORA certification, a background check will be conducted. Crimes involving moral turpitude, control substances and any 4th degree crime or greater will prohibit an individual from receiving SORA certification. Hinton Investigations Training Institute does not have the authority to clarify any information regarding this area or any individual’s background. Questions pertaining to criminal history and/or background checks can only be addressed by the NJ State Police. Kindly submit all inquiries to the following email address: PDU@GW.NJSP.ORG . Since the NJSP does not do refund for ANY reason, if you have an issue in this area either contact the NJSP for guidance or play it safe and don’t apply for SORA.